The Art and the Culture of East Prussia

Printer-friendly versionОтправить другу по почте

It is primarily graphics and sculpture that represent East Prussian art in the Museum. The collection began to take shape in 1991, when the Gallery received a large collection of works by Norbert Doleziсh. In the subsequent years the holdings of the Gallery were replenished with the works by Hienrich Wolff, Kathe Kollwitz, Helene Neumann and many others; among them, the collection of graphics by Lovis Corinth stands out. Kaliningrad Art Gallery owns the largest in Russia graphic collection by this artist.

Norbert Ernst Doleziсh. Old sea buckthorn on the Zemland coast, West Prussia. 1944
Norbert Ernst Doleziсh
Old sea buckthorn on the Zemland coast,
West Prussia. 1944
Heinrich Wolff. Portrait of a girl. 1987
Heinrich Wolff
Portrait of a girl. 1987
Helene Neumann. Shore landscape near Brusterort
Helene Neumann
Shore landscape near Brusterort
Kurt Dietrich Losch. The view of the Catholic Church from the New Pregel. 1912
Kurt Dietrich Losch
The view of the Catholic Church
from the New Pregel. 1912

Our holdings contain more than sixty pencil prints and lithographs. The collection of East Prussian plastic art is represented mostly by garden sculpture, with the majority of works relating to the animal genre. Especially noteworthy is the sculpture Two Playing Dogs by Erich Schmidt-Kestnert, the artist from Berlin. The sculpture was created during Schmidt-Kestnert’s stay in Königsberg in 1930; later he handed it over to the city. For years, it used to decorate the main avenue in the local Zoo, until in the late 1980s the sculpture became part of the Museum’s collection.

Lovis Corinth. Self-portrait with his wife. 1904
Lovis Corinth
Self-portrait with his wife. 1904

The gem of the collection is the sculpture by Stanislaus Cauer, professor of the Königsberg Academy of Art. In 1905 – 1906 he had created an idealized female image in white marble, which he called After the Bath. Originally, the sculpture was installed in front of the Academy, in later years changing its location more than once. As a result of almost a century-long exposure , the statue began showing signs of damage. In 2003 it was handed over to Kaliningrad Art Gallery. After the restoration in 2011 this masterpiece has been on permanent display in the main hall of the Museum.

Erich Schmidt-Kestnert. Two Playing Dogs. 1930
Erich Schmidt-Kestnert
Two Playing Dogs. 1930
Stanislaus Cauer. After the Bath. 1905-1906
Stanislaus Cauer
After the Bath. 1905–1906
M T W T F S S
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30